Rael - The Heroes of Rin

Rise of the Runelords III

Glassworks

High atop the cathedral the lupine figure of Bleys stands as if a monument, a sentinel of the cathedral. His wolf-like form is framed against the silvery moon. He watches and smells. The sick sulfur has not abated completely. He senses the foul creatures are out in the night.

Low and carefully a storm-crow circles the town, with eyes that pierce illusion he watches for the creatures and the chaos they bring. Tired now from a day of circling above, he has reached the point of near exhaustion. His master may call him back soon. He hopes.

Patrolling the streets the Lions of Magnimar are on full alert. Guards are posted at nearly every street corner, while the citizens of Sandpoint huddle in their houses. Not sleeping, any of them, as visions of horror and death haunt their eyes.

Pantheris is looking over the wagons one more time. The wagons belonging to the Sandpoint Glassworks — fitted with smuggling compartments. Compartments where the Illorg lay in wait. What could command these things to act against their nature and remain hidden for so long?

Calibash reaches out his mind to touch the eyes above. Doing so he finds something peculiar. He sees guards in the cemetary placed in formation around a grave. Hemlock and Shelalu appear to be investigating the area, along with two Dwarves who were originally stationed in that zone when the attack began.

He is mulling it over in his mind. The Glassworks, the grave, the attack. Should they investigate tonight or keep watch. He reaches out the the minds of his friends. He hears their response to a statement he doesn’t remember posing.

“Act how?” replies Arondil.

“This moment?” asks Bleys.

“I’m tired.” responds Ju’alis.

“What shall we do?” floats Pantheris’ mind.
_________________
And all of creation shuddered …
Back to top
View user’s profile Send private message Send e-mail

calibash
Site Admin

Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Posts: 583

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:39 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
“My Friends, I believe the cemetery may provide some clues. It may be best to investigate something that is already found rather than to try to find something if you understand my meaning.”

Calibash concentrates on his eyes in the sky to get a better view of the graveyard, and then allows her to return to guarding the town from the sky.

“What say you all?”
Back to top
View user’s profile Send private message Send e-mail

bleys

Joined: 27 Apr 2005
Posts: 498

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:35 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Bleys weighs in and tells Calibash he agrees that the group should quickly investigate the graveyard then move along to the glassworks. Bleys remains on the church on guard until he is needed.
Back to top
View user’s profile Send private message Send e-mail

arondil

Joined: 03 Apr 2005
Posts: 1438

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:39 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
“‘yes, a quick look at the cemetary couldn’t hurt………….but we shouldn’t let ourselves get too distracted from the glassworks”

Phasjin, twisted and grotesque, crashes to the floor in a spray of blood. Blood that hangs heavy in the air — a mist that gradually and un-nervingly takes shape. Pulsating as a beating heart the mist booms out a command. A command so intense that it shakes the stone pillars of the room.

“Nualia my servant! Awake me now! My blood has been spent and spilled. I will fashion you your army, and I come to you now. Today marks the end of the Vir and Fey in Golarion! Heed my call and prepare the rite. Gather Tobyn’s bones..and I will give birth to an army or Illor. By the thousands they will wash over the cities of Golarion. Awake the mother of all monsters.”

The echoes of the voice resound in the air while the mist slips quickly out the far door.

Calibash pauses and turns to the group. “We must pursue at all costs. Lamashtu, the mother of monsters, has found a way to be reborn into the world.”
_________________
And all of creation shuddered …
Back to top
View user’s profile Send private message Send e-mail

Pantheris

Joined: 04 Apr 2005
Posts: 744

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:10 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
“Calibash speaks with the wisdom of Visor… we must pursue this evil, and thwart her plans.”

“We may have been able to handle a hundred Illor, but we cannot handle thousands.”

“We can come back and search for treasures later Jewels, much more hangs in the balance than a few baubles. Perhaps there are even greater treasures to be lost if we do not pursue.”

“Friends… pray for divine intercession…”
“Today we place our lives in the hands of the gods…”

Pantheris, who is not usually devout at all, pulls a small figurine of Yawrl-Yawrl from his pouch, and rubs it for luck as he heads for the door to watch the mist cloud while he awaits the decision of his friends.
He sends his wizard eye in pursuit…
_________________
Cat box? Phhhfffttttttt, I’ll go where I please!
Back to top
View user’s profile Send private message Send e-mail

bleys

Joined: 27 Apr 2005
Posts: 498

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:13 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Bleys stays vigil at his post.
Back to top
View user’s profile Send private message Send e-mail

Pantheris

Joined: 04 Apr 2005
Posts: 744

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:25 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Pantheris’ mind races while he waits for his friends to agree on whether to pursue or not. He quietly thanks Yawrl-Yawrl for a dawning thought…

He says “Father Tobyn’s bones are obviously an integral part of this ritual that Lamashtu intends to complete.”

“Jewels, give a quick search of the room for any bones or secret hiding places where the bones may be.”

“Perhaps that is why the Illor were digging around in the cemetary, they need Father Tobyn’s bones for the ritual.”

“If the bones are not here then perhaps he may still be buried in the cemetary, and maybe one, some, or all of us should head there. Or at least we should somehow get a message to the town guard and the Lions to search for them.”

“Or, perhaps the bones are where the mist is heading…”

“Either way, as distasteful as it may seem, I feel we should destroy the bones to prevent them being used in this ritual.”

“We must act quickly!”

“Do you see anything Jewels?”
_________________
Cat box? Phhhfffttttttt, I’ll go where I please!
Back to top
View user’s profile Send private message Send e-mail

arondil

Joined: 03 Apr 2005
Posts: 1438

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:54 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Arondil sighs…I suppose we should follow this mist immedIatly, it is unfortunate about bleys, although I have heard of remedies for his ailments. Although I think that if we delay to rest now that mist will have gained too much of a lead to be trackable. Much has happened this morning in such a short time…..although I think it should be close to noontime. maybe a brief respite for some prayer could be in order for myself
_________________
what we see we see
what is ugly is ugly
what is both we destroy
Back to top
View user’s profile Send private message Send e-mail

Richard
Grand Master Dungeon Master

Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 1212

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:03 am Post subject: Knowledge Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
“Rites to Lamashtu would take place at the setting of the Sun. That gives us seven hours and eight minutes to find them below and disrupt the ceremony.”
_________________
And all of creation shuddered …
Back to top
View user’s profile Send private message Send e-mail

bleys

Joined: 27 Apr 2005
Posts: 498

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:45 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Rich…are the bears able to be brought to the room so they are able to protect the statue from both sides of the door?

If not Shelalu looks at Pantheris and asks "would you have another amber spell that would protect Bleys in our absence Pantheris?
Back to top
View user’s profile Send private message Send e-mail

Richard
Grand Master Dungeon Master

Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 1212

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:51 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
[The bears would be able to come into this room easily. ]

“Taken a shine to the Human?” Replies Ju’Alis. She pauses. “Seriously, we should find a way of safely moving the statue, and maybe encasing it in a wall of stone. We can do that while Arondil prays.” An evil smile crosses her face as she pulls out a dagger…. “We could even make him pretty.”

She walks slowly over towards the statue, clearly trying to elicit a response from the “do-gooder” crowd she hangs out with. When she reaches the statue and rests the dagger lightly on its nose she realizes that they have called her bluff. No one is even looking up from what they are doing. She pats Bleys on the head and stows the dagger.

“He is more personable this way.” She blurts out. “No speeches or sermons…Can we at least keep the tongue stone?”
_________________
And all of creation shuddered …
Back to top
View user’s profile Send private message Send e-mail

bleys

Joined: 27 Apr 2005
Posts: 498

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:02 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Bleys stays vigil at his post…
Back to top
View user’s profile Send private message Send e-mail

calibash
Site Admin

Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Posts: 583

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Calibash sometimes wonders about his sanity when he speaks without conscious thought of it, but realizes in reality he is a vessel.

“I can protect him some by not allowing any teleportation in the area. I’m concerned they could use him as leverage to get what they want by either threatening destruction of his body, or holding him for some ransom if we do get what they’re looking for. I don’t want to have to make the choice knowing what the choice must be.

It would be wise if we could protect him in stone, but I have not any spell to accomplish this. We could teleport him back, but again that would weaken us at the time we need our strength the most. Setting the bears as guards are an option worth investigating.

However, if we are going to the graveyard, we can fairly quickly place Bleys in the cathedral for safety with the guards watching."
Back to top
View user’s profile Send private message Send e-mail

Richard
Grand Master Dungeon Master

Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 1212

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:44 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Shelaylu shakes her head. “Tobyn’s bones aren’t in the graveyard. The coffin was opened and empty. Hemlock and I investigated. There was nothing left.”

“The voice said ‘Nualia.’ We all thought she died with Tobyn. Perhaps she didn’t die in the fire as we thought.” Her voice trails off.

It was amazing to think that it all happened so many months ago. The long strategy sessions with Hemlock, and you have gotten to know the mayor too — Kendra Deverin, a pragmatic woman who is as plain in dress and appearance as she is with her approach to politics.

The citizens of Sandpoint know nothing about the treachery of Nualia, their heaven-born daughter who turned her sights on hell. Tracking down the Illor and performing raiding sorties has been a tiresome job. Long weeks of travel, and hunting, returning back to Sandpoint to re-equip, re-plan, and get a little rest. The road East, towards the Thistlewood and Thistletop is finally clear. Now you can let the Lions of Magnimar patrol this area…well they used to be Lions of Magnimar. A hand-picked crew of soldiers willing to give up their commissions and spend their days in the thankless job of ensuring that the area around Thistletop remains clear of trouble.

No longer dressed in their finery, they look like merchants on the road. They have wagons for the few beasts that they could take — wounded lions that were no longer fit for service. Excellent breeding stock though … and these men signed up for the long term. Their community is set up inside the Thistle wall, provisioned and supplied as a permanent outpost against trouble.

Your sights are on the West. There are Brakwater Illor in the Brinestump Swamp. You haven’t started to make your Westward plans yet, but staring out the window you notice the change of season in the air. A local, Tenvik, looks up to your window and calls out a greeting and blessing for the night. Your response is off-hand, distracted, and appropriate.

The season has changed. You don’t speak like a local yet, but you know the language. For months every local you passed would want to hand-clasp and talk. You even began to suspect and conspiracy to help you learn the language from each and every inhabitant of Sandpoint.

The snow is swirling down like great sheets of white. There has been a little snow, but this is the first big snowfall. It transports your mind back to a myriad of other places — places that have been your home. A snowstorm anywhere is the same. The town of Sandpoint glows with warm lights and fires to shelter all against the winter nights.

Perhaps the swamp can wait, it might be good to rest out the winter.
_________________
And all of creation shuddered …
Back to top
View user’s profile Send private message Send e-mail

arondil

Joined: 03 Apr 2005
Posts: 1438

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:02 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Arondil would like a little rest…..it has been a while since there were no immediate concerns, it would be nice to work on a few projects he’s had in mind…..he’s been thinking of altering the sworddance to take into account for moves that are required in battle to avoid becoming an absolute gore covered mess……..the maidens wilee love it……..

Ah the joys of being a preist of Helani…..
_________________
what we see we see
what is ugly is ugly
what is both we destroy
Back to top
View user’s profile Send private message Send e-mail

Richard
Grand Master Dungeon Master

Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 1212

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:09 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
“What is it about Sandpoint that everyone wants to crush it?” asks Bleys, wondering when they will ever get a respite.

“What did the giants look like?” Arondil asks for the third time as he polishes his sword.

Calibash ignores him and continues on with the interpretation of his dream. I see them coming in two waves… a small group; but then an army. An army of giant snakes, and those Crystal Giants…" he pauses to look at Arondil, “the ones made of dark stone, crystal, and veins of darkmetal. If we don’t go now they will crush Sandpoint into dust.”

“And what of the Githyanki?” queries Ju’alis, acutely aware of the dangers of carrying their holiest symbol as a spoil of war.

“I saw them floating in the East in lands we have not seen. They are meddling in all of this, but I don’t know how.” Calibash is troubled. His gaze penetrates darkness, but his dreams were filled with a dark inky cloud that blotted out visions and prophesies.
_________________
And all of creation shuddered …
Back to top
View user’s profile Send private message Send e-mail

Richard
Grand Master Dungeon Master

Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 1212

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:21 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Viser’s prophetic dream fades too quickly from all of their minds. There was more of a warning, everyone feels it, but no one can remember it.
_________________
And all of creation shuddered …
Back to top
View user’s profile Send private message Send e-mail

Pantheris

Joined: 04 Apr 2005
Posts: 744

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:41 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
(did we all have the dream, or just Calibash?)
_________________
Cat box? Phhhfffttttttt, I’ll go where I please!
Back to top
View user’s profile Send private message Send e-mail

Richard
Grand Master Dungeon Master

Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 1212

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:37 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
[that was a bit ambiguous on re-reading. Replace the last post with this one]

The moments turn around in everyone’s head. Gathered around to listen intently to Calibash tell of his dream, they dart uneasy glances around.
The morning candle has burned down to a flicker; half-empty cups bear witness to a long conversion. A conversation that they only remember a fragment of.

Just that last bit remains. The glances around tell the tale as each person searches for their memory. A long dark cloud of amnesia has descended leaving a lingering panic.

What was the beginning of the tale?
_________________
And all of creation shuddered …
Back to top
View user’s profile Send private message Send e-mail

arondil

Joined: 03 Apr 2005
Posts: 1438

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
arondil puts his sword back in the scabard, thinks a bit and says sandepunt women are the fairest in these lands…I’m tired of magnamar, stupid mayor with his " could you people do me a favour here, and why dont you fight some monsters there", and never a thank you ……… lets go sandepunt for a bit, a little vacation, I’d like to see how it’s getting fixed up.
_________________
what we see we see
what is ugly is ugly
what is both we destroy
Back to top
View user’s profile Send private message Send e-mail

arondil

Joined: 03 Apr 2005
Posts: 1438

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:22 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
And…why is the thought of githyanki in my head?…..I dont like the githyanki…..not beautifull, must destroy
_________________
what we see we see
what is ugly is ugly
what is both we destroy
Back to top
View user’s profile Send private message Send e-mail

Richard
Grand Master Dungeon Master

Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 1212

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:11 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
[You remember Jewels mentioning the Githyanki, but you don’t remember why you did.]

Don’t forget to check your Private message at the top of the screen. (Everyone)
_________________
And all of creation shuddered …
Back to top
View user’s profile Send private message Send e-mail

arondil

Joined: 03 Apr 2005
Posts: 1438

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:50 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Arondil asks"why is everyone looking so worried?…..all we have to do is figure out what other kinds of giants are around these lands and we’ll already have halfway beaten them Very Happy ….I just realized, we’ve been fighting a lot of giants or very large sized things lately……well, I need some sunshine and fresh air……maybe I’ll take a relaxing prayer day today Cool "…..with that arondil goes outside to enjoy a day of being a follower of helani……………….and ponder some things Confused
_________________
what we see we see
what is ugly is ugly
what is both we destroy
Back to top
View user’s profile Send private message Send e-mail

Richard
Grand Master Dungeon Master

Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 1212

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
“Do you remember nothing of Calibash’s tale?” asks Siesze.

She looks around the group. The Giants…[pauses] and the Githyanki [pauses] the runes… crystals..and the butterfly goddess? Her eyes follow Arondil as he leaves the room; scans Pantheris and Ju’alis who are standing close together, glances past Bleys and then rests her gaze on Calibash.

“The wolf. Do you remember the wolf?”

“You had quite a dream. You called it a True Vision. You spoke like you were possessed by something else. In a far-off and commanding voice.”
_________________
And all of creation shuddered …
Back to top
View user’s profile Send private message Send e-mail

arondil

Joined: 03 Apr 2005
Posts: 1438

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Arondil hears this as he’s walking out the door, pauses for a moment then continues walking to enjoy the sun. The others hear him laugh as he says “Butterfly Goddess………she’ll be the real trouble, if theres any consistency to this strange adventure” Laughing Laughing Laughing
_________________
what we see we see
what is ugly is ugly
what is both we destroy
Back to top
View user’s profile Send private message Send e-mail

Richard
Grand Master Dungeon Master

Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 1212

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:58 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
“Cleaning. Nobody thinks about all the cleaning.” mutters Arondil back at the Rusty Dragon — their home in Sandepunt.

The whole top floor of the Inn has become known as “Hero’s Heights” and has been set aside for the heroes known locally as the “skyborn”. The old Halfling woman Bethana is the only one who is allowed on the upper levels of the Rusty Dragon. Even the owner, Ameiko, leaves those rooms to the matronly Halfling elder. She cleans slowly, but thoroughly when the skyborn are away; when they are in town she also leaves them to their peace. A small lamp at the end of the hallway signals when they are in their rooms: a red candle means they are not to be disturbed; yellow means that they can be offered baths, food, and drink; when they are away Bethana keeps a white candle burning.

Spread out across the floor is a mass of gear, much of it singed by Dragon-fire. Hair and fur and leather smell awful when burnt. He knows that the cat-folk will not abide smelly gear so he is going about the task of sorting the gear as to what will be salvaged and what will be replaced.

“The lords forgot to change the candle” says Bethana as she slips her knife back into her sleeve.

The rest look up from what they are doing to acknowledge the old Halfling. Bleys in particular has always had a strange fondness for her, and he extends an arm to guide her to a seat on the bed.

“Perhaps some of Ameiko’s stew for dinner tonight dear mother.” Bleys says in the Halfling fashion.

“’And some salmon steaks.” pipes in Jewels.
_________________
And all of creation shuddered …
Back to top
View user’s profile Send private message Send e-mail

arondil

Joined: 03 Apr 2005
Posts: 1438

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:33 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
And we’ll need some laundry done, if anyone’s available…seems like forever since I’ve looked my best at breakfast
_________________
what we see we see
what is ugly is ugly
what is both we destroy
Back to top
View user’s profile Send private message Send e-mail

Richard
Grand Master Dungeon Master

Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 1212

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:02 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Sziesze looks at her pile of burnt gear. Two bottles are fused together to make some kind of artistic neo-d�cor that is popular in Magnimar. Dragon Fire is hot enough to reshape glass… she needs to remix unguents for fire protection.
She looks at the mass of cinders that were her solvents, inks, poultices, creams, balms, and suspensions. Molten weapons and burned gear. the edges of her leather satchel look like the burned edges of paper — black, cracked, and flakey.
To herself she thinks will need a long time to re-equip to rejoin the pursuit of those rune-giants. To herself she hopes that we don’t have to. Turn around. Forget the giants. Leave the dragons to whatever cause they have and find a nice little adventure somewhere.
She glances around the room hoping to find that the others are thinking the same thing. That isn’t what she sees. They have all shrugged of the near-fatal encounter with the dragons as easily as tripping over a loose stone.

“We have to be more careful with the Dragons.” is what Bleys said.

Calibash nodded and said, “Yes better fire protection.”

“And a bit more mobility in our spells.” added Pantheris.

That was it. A few seconds of silence later — with nothing to add from the others — it looked like the whole case was settled! Now they are going about making sure their gear is solid and figuring out what is on the menu for dinner and what clothes to wear to breakfast.

Rubbing at her void-mark she realized that she was growing and learning. “I’m alive until I’m not,” Arondil had said to her off-handedly once. That was the lesson.

That was the moment that she let worry slip from her. She let go of the last bit of holding-on. The illusion of the future and the shadow of the past were now so completely un-real to her that they seemed like childhood stories.

A trip up the mountain to find the rune-giants was now as inevitable as it was inconsequential. It will have to be done when it is done. For the moment the world was music and smell drifting through the boards in the floor.
Across the street she could see a clothier. She knew the kind of dress that she wanted to find; and soft dancing shoes too. The quest at hand was tavern attire. She hadn’t been this at peace for many, many years. If she paused at that moment to think about how many, she would have been shocked. But the past is just a shadow and she wasn’t going to dwell on that any more.
_________________
And all of creation shuddered …
Back to top
View user’s profile Send private message Send e-mail

Richard
Grand Master Dungeon Master

Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 1212

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:17 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
But Calibash spoke again.

Again, she was the only one who remembered the words.

“Arondil is on the edge of an evolution and must soon walk the lonely night.”

“Bleys carries a great burden. One he must put down or be drowned by.”

“Calibash must embrace the night and seek out the butterfly.”

“Ju’alis, with silence and darkness, can deal the final blow.”

“Pantheris will cut the arcane bond that cannot be undone with magic.”

“Siesze is the prophet.”

“These are the six fingers of the fist. There are seven rune-lords. The six-fingered will be out-done by eight. Learn your numbers or all is lost.”

Comments

RichardMayo RichardMayo

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.